Dear 'Punjabi Singers' - Please RAISE your standards
I have been living in Punjab since eternity. I have been raised in a Punjabi family, and I am a true Punjabi for I love the culture and people associated with it. And for that matter, just like every Punjabi, I can't stop myself from matching a step with people when Punjabi numbers are played by a Disk Jockey. But then, something is really wrong with present Punjabi Singers or perhaps Punjabi Music Industry has lost its original charm.
Now there is a conspicuous pattern of Punjabi songs which are being launched these days :-
1. Men will be either extolling themselves extra ordinarily. For example.
- Aaja sohni dassa tenu fashion ki hunda, Tere Yaar da tan vakhraa swag ni (Oh stupid girl! learn some fashion sense from me for I am a Dude.)
- Munda sohniye ni I Phone varga, jani khnai naal hundaa ni attach goriye (This boy defines dignity for he doesn't even bother about characterless girls who woo boys.)
- Bache bachhe vich hit, kudiyan da brad pitt, munda jattan da javayee tu banalae ghar da (I am as sexy as Brad Pitt. So what are you waiting for, marry me!)
- Mai hu shikaari kudiye,..khali mera vaar ni jataa, mujhko naa pehchane tu..tere ghar akhbaar ni aata?( I am a born stud. Why don't you come have sex with me?)
- Vese to hu Badshaah mai, aaj raat tujhe star banadu (Oh gorgeous girl! Just because I am a very famous singer Badshah, this gives me a right to have a night stand with you.)
- Hoyaa ki je nachdi di banh fadd layi dakka tan ni maareya..(So what ? So what if a boy tries to grab a girl's arm while dancing? It's not a crime.)
2. Or they will be demeaning women in various interesting ways. Not to forget the inherent sexism and misogyny present in vast amounts. For example.
- Enna v na dope shope mareya karo...bann k tu reh gyi hun nashe di dukaaan (Because if a man drinks, he is a dude. But if a woman drinks, she is a blot on her culture and she is a potential slut. So she should better not think of boozing.)
- Chakko chakko chakko, kujh fresh nayio milna (There is a dearth of virgin girls out there. So grab whatever is available and ENJOY!)
- Saturday Saturday..kehti university padhti hai..but I doubt (This girl is out on parties every Saturday and drinks alchohal. So I, therefore, doubt if she is really a college girl or a call girl.)
- Kudiye ni tere brown rang ne..tu bann meri whore..I mean meri ho (A dusky bitch is no less than a whore.)
- Dhokha de he jandii ae gaddi te naddi..(Comparing girls with cars like they are a property. Sheer objectification!)
- Khaton hundi desperate..sanu dasjaa ki ae RATE..(Ohk, so what's the rate of your sister or your mother may be?)
- Teri lae lava photo je ruke taan sahi..PURCHASE v kariye je vikke taan sahi..(As if girls are some products and services to be purchased??)
3. And after listening to above two categories of songs, if a girl decides to leave a man who doesn't respect her femininity at all and who is constantly boasting of his so called 'Swag', he expresses his remorse by singing typical sad songs. For example.
- Tu badli sau vaar..assi ikk vaar ni badle (You cheat, you changed but I didn't!)
- Ro ro k arzaan guzaarda ae dil...haye mera dil..haye mera dil (I cry day and night for you!)
- Bada samjhaya tenu samajh na aaya kanu kardaa ae didariyaan (Why did I fall in love with you?)
- Mera deewanapan tenu karu pagal..mere kaatal (You will pay for this, bitch!)
- Ho addee raat hoyi..teri yaadan ne saanu gher leyaa..haye oyee... And there is no end to this lamenting.
So Dear Punjabi Singers - stop demeaning a woman for every other thing you are not happy with. Stop blaming her and judging her with your preconceived and regressive notions of culture. Stop being a self proclaimed stud (or should I say a Fookra?). Try thinking beyond girls, women and ladies, and come up with some good stuff. Please raise your standards!
P.S. There were singers like 'Gurdaas Maan' and 'Vadali Brothers' who were real gems for Punjabi Music Industry. I wonder if Honey Singh will ever have a daughter in future, will she be able to respect her Dad for permeating this kind of shit in the society?